Sunday 2 October 2016

Spectrum is back!

My first article in a new series of profiles in Lehen is-Sewwa
As of this weekend I started writing an article in a Maltese Catholic newspaper Lehen is-Sewwa (The Voice of Truth) every two weeks, obviously in Maltese. I have been writing in the same paper for the past 30 years, having started precisely on October 4, 1986. I wrote monthly about my experiences in the USA, sharing traditions and customs, anecdotes and profiles about parish life and work in an American parish. The articles were well received and frequently I got comments from various people, and even suggesting some topics to write about. The caption, which I wrote in calligraphy says ‘Il-Boghod jifridna.....Kristu Jghaqqadna’ (Distance separates us....God unites us.)
Now that I am back in Malta, I thought of doing something different but interesting nonetheless. I will be writing profiles of various people, Maltese, foreigners, mostly alive, but some deceased, but with a connection to the church, philanthropy, ecclesiastical heritage, and general interest, as well as people who have left a legacy in Maltese society and in our world. I even resurrected a nom-de-plume Spectrum, which I used in my Seminary years when I started writing a page in another Maltese paper while encouraging other seminarians to do the same. The first article was introductory, but also giving a tribute to the many aficionados of Maltese festas, celebrated over the summer months. The title Id-Dilettant stands for the Aficionados of Maltese festas. The background clippings in the above photo show the first article with a few older articles from previous years, including the very first on the top left hand corner.

1 comment:

  1. What a great opportunity for you and your readers. Congratulations on Spectrum and God's blessings on your latest journalistic adventure...

    ReplyDelete