Saturday 24 December 2022

A letter from the donkey to Mary

Dear Mary, so beautiful and so tired, you surely deserve to rest on this hay and straw, because it’s been two full days since you last slept, and this past week was a very hectic day for you and Joseph. Of course it was toughest on me as I carried you from Nazareth to this stable. I was so honored to be here to witness the birth of you Son, now lying on your lap. I’ve heard that you’ve been waiting for him for 9 months. I heard people say that He is the Son of God. What a privilege and an honor! I am very proud of myself too Mary, and am honored that I was the animal chosen to carry you safely for 70 miles from Nazareth to Bethlehem. I’m sorry there wasn’t enough space for Joseph also on my back. And I feel bad that there was no room in any of the local hotels. But now I can’t wait for the baby to grow so that I can take him wherever He wants to go. Even though it was  a long journey, I am grateful that you treated me with so much kindness. Not everyone is like you. Some people kick me to move faster, and others leave me thirsty because they’re in a hurry. Yet, I’m always patient and never complain. Still there are many others who treat me kindly as you did. You know, beautiful lady, I do get upset when people make fun of me, and criticize my long ears, or tease me because I don’t run as fast as the horse. But I’m happy the way I am, because that’s the way God created me. May I ask you a small favor, please. Whenever you are close to God and the Father of that baby, please remind Him to let people know how to treat all animals with kindness, gentleness and respect. We all have feelings too. And by the way, when you wake up and search for a place to put the baby, you can place Him in my manger. There’s plenty of hay in it, and it’s pretty soft too.

Signed – The Donkey

No comments:

Post a Comment