Monday 21 February 2022

Icicles

I have always been fascinated by Icicles, and have taken plenty of photos of these cute creations from nature. When you think of the masterpieces artists have created over the years, no one can create something like what you see in these photos. I took these pictures close to Hunter Mountain, in upstate New York. I was with my priest friend Father John Heinlein where he was going skiing, as I accompanied him to take a few photos. Of course I had to force him to stop when I saw these icicles bulging out of the rocks, and have always cherished these photos, besides others I came across in my years in Oregon. 

Unfortunately water never freezes in Malta, and so we can never see any icicles here, unless you can place a tree in your freezer and sprinkle water on it. Icicles are formed when the snow that falls on roofs and trees start to melt, dripping water, and if the weather freezes up again, the drops become icicles, sometimes quite large. The same happens underground where stalactites and stalagmites form, after hundreds of years.

No comments:

Post a Comment