Wednesday 5 August 2020

Personal vintage photos

Those were the years when black and white photography was still the order of the day. Those were my seminary years between 1970 and 1977 when my interest in photography was just starting. I think these were some of my very first photos with my Petri camera which my father had bought for me. The first one shows an elderly woman weaving by hand. I remember very well as she was in a field near Fontana Gozo, and as soon as I approached her, her elderly farmer husband came close by and was not happy with my intrusion, and I recollect he even uttered a few expletives, which scared me, to say the least. I quickly retreated and continue my hikes with some other seminarians, but happy with the photo I took of this native woman. The only person who was not happy was her husband. 

The second photo was taken during a procession in one of our villages, most probably in Għaxaq, and shows a member of the confraternity of the Blessed Sacrament carrying the large red banner, a few of which are carried in local festive processions. He is seen here checking to see where his fellow confreres are, so that he could stop at certain intervals. 

The third photos shows another confrere in the same procession carrying a silver lamp-post which are carried alongside the crucifix. Sadly, because of the coronavirus, these processions are not being held all over Malta this summer, to the disappointment of all the parishioners, but it is safe for everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment