Friday 26 January 2024

Progressive Meals

This is another segment from my daily Journals, this particular one comes from 2004 when I was stationed at St Elizabeth of Hungary parish in John Day, Oregon.

One Saturday evening, just as I was pacing and praying the Rosary around the church, a group of cars were following each, beeping horns in a happy mood. I thought it was some kind of a celebration of a victory of sorts. Among them was Dr. Robert Holland, the local doctor who slowed down his car and invited me to join them for dessert. Of course I had no idea what was going on, but he explained to me they were having a Progressive Meal, organized by the Methodist Church. Since I had eaten already and was getting late, I declined for the day. From what I was told, various members of the Methodist community church organize an event that is quite interesting and I share it here for anyone who would like to plan something similar among friends. A Progressive Meal is a 4 course meal which they eat at different houses, starting with antipasto at one house, salad at another house, the main course or dinner at another house, and finally dessert at the last house. In between of course there is driving and some socializing. There must have been 12 cars in the entourage, and they even had a national motif, Hawaiian shirts and leighs around their necks. Probably the food was Hawaiian too.

No comments:

Post a Comment