Tuesday 22 August 2023

My childhood church

It is my honor today to share with you three photos of my childhood church of St. Julian, also known as Lapsi Church (Ascension Church.) Built over the last two centuries, it has been recently restored to its magnificent best, probably like never seen before, thanks to the enthusiasm of a few young people who are dedicated to its upkeep, restoration and selfless sacrifice they make to see it become one of the most ornate smaller churches in Malta, which has a church for every day of the year, 365 in total. 

This is the church where my parents were married in July of 1948, where all of us children were baptized, where I served as an altar boy for many years, helped as a seminarian and celebrated many Masses after my ordination. It was the parish church of the town of St. Julian’s from 1891 until 1968 when the newer, bigger church was opened. Mass is still celebrated in it on a daily basis, and quite a few weddings are also celebrated there, even though it is not always wearing its finest outfit, as it does on Christmas, Easter and the feast of St Julian which is being celebrated this week. A quick visit this morning gave me the opportunity to take a few photos which I offer to you. A recent restoration of the main painting behind the main altar will be featured later on in another post this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment