Tuesday 14 July 2020

More things that will never happen

My first car, a Toyota Tercel
I refer to two other events that you will never see again. The first one is seeing me drive again, as I gave up driving last August. But I look back to the thousands of miles, possibly close to a million miles that I’ve driven in the USA, both in New York and in Oregon. I remember so well my 5 cars, starting with the Toyota Tercel (1982-1994), then my Geo Metro (1994-1998), my Honda CRV (1998-2008) and finally my Chevy Equinox (2008-2016). In Malta, for two years I drove a Toyota Vitz (2016-2019), but my driving here was limited, uneventful and nerve-wracking at times, and certainly never enjoyable, because of the incredible amount of traffic.
Another event which will never be seen again is watching the Concorde flying overhead. This was a daily occurrence when I was in New Hyde Park, NY, as the Concorde would pass twice over us, the first one the Air France at 8:45 AM and then the British Airways, punctually at 9:15 AM when I would be saying the Mass, and had to pause, usually during the Offertory when the sonic boom would make it impossible to be heard. The Concorde was introduced in January 1976 and stopped operating in October 2003.

No comments:

Post a Comment