Sunday 16 September 2018

St Augustine's Prayer

Lord Jesus, may I know myself and know you.
And desire nothing save only you.
May I hate myself and love you.
May I do everything for the sake of you.
May I humble myself and exalt you.
May I think of nothing except you.
May I die to myself and live in you.
May I receive whatever happens as from you.
May I banish self and follow you, and ever desire to follow you.
May I fly from myself and fly to you, that I may deserve to be defended by you.
May I fear for myself and fear you, and be among those who are chosen by you.
May I distrust myself and trust in you.
May I be willing to obey on account of you.
May I cling to nothing but to you.
May I be poor for the sake of you.
Look upon me that I may love you.
Call me that I may see you.
            And ever and ever enjoy you. Amen.             

No comments:

Post a Comment