Sunday 7 May 2017

The Good Shepherd

The 4th Sunday of Easter is known as the Good Shepherd Sunday as the readings always deal with seeing Jesus leading us as a faithful shepherd. The sacrifice, toil and pain any shepherd goes through to keep his sheep together are well known by anyone familiar with the countryside, ranching, herding and farming. And Jesus goes through the same emotions as He cares for each and every one of us. As we see the shepherd bending in the midst of thorns to pull out the lost sheep, so does Jesus retrieve any person who gets entangled in the filth and dangers of this life. 
We celebrate this weekend also the World Day of Prayers for Vocations. As I see many priests, religious and sisters minister in Malta, I thank God that I too can share my ministry with fellow Maltese people who appreciate my service to them. And even though I was never a fisher of fish, I am honored to be fisher of men and women, helping them get closer to God and to each other. I ask God to help me always be a good shepherd to my people, especially to those searching for guidance and direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment