Monday 3 October 2022

Guardian Angels

Yesterday was the feast of the Guardian Angels and we did not celebrate it since it fell on a Sunday, but I thought of sharing this reflection today, since I am very fond of angels. Praying with the angels is a heavenly blessing that even Jesus had. On Holy Thursday, he asked Peter, James and John to pray with him, but they fell asleep. Praying alone in his pain, an angel came to minister to Jesus. And there appeared to him an angel from heaven, strengthening him.” (Luke 22:43) Our Lord Himself alludes to the great number of angels during His arrest when He tells Peter, Do you think that I cannot appeal to my Father, and He will at once send me more than twelve legions of angels? (Matthew 26:53.) It’s been a common practice for Catholic nurses to recite prayers to the angel of the Garden of Gethsemane so that they could be strong in tending to the patients entrusted to their care, particularly during the long and lonely hours of the night. This traditional prayer to the Angel of Gethsemane calls down the grace of God upon those we pray for, through the intercession of the very angel who comforted Jesus on the night of His Passion.
O Angel of Gethsemane, chosen by the Father to bring strength and consolation to Jesus during His agony, I ask you to be with me now as I keep watch over my loved one who is sick and suffering. Help me to offer my best care, love and protection to this child of God. May my words and my touch be filled with gentleness, my presence bring comfort, and my prayers bring rest and healing sleep. Do what I cannot do, O loving Angel, to bring healing and strength to soul and body, according to the Father’s will. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment