Tuesday 11 September 2018

Let us remember....

Back in 1988 on visiting Liberty Island with the Twin Towers in the background.
It was a tragic day 17 years ago when the whole world was shattered with images of terror and violence of cataclysmic proportions. I happened to be close to the scene when the Twin Towers collapsed and the rest of the world watched in disbelief. I lost one of the parishioners, Peter Klein and did his funeral a few days later, as I comforted his family through a horrible period of their life.  A few weeks later I visited Ground Zero and placed a note on a big tarp which allowed people to put messages of healing and comfort. In Maltese I wrote 'Il-Bambin jiftakar fikom u l-Maltin jitolbu għalikom.' (God will protect you and the Maltese will pray for you.) I led people in prayer throughout the following weeks, as people united in support of the USA and of each other.
The tarp at Ground Zero with my message on the right side.
Let us remember and pray for the 3000 victims and their families, who still suffer inconsolably. Let us continue to pray for peace and harmony among nations. Let us never forget the New York martyrs who died that day, as well as those who perished in Washington DC and Pennsylvania.

No comments:

Post a Comment