Friday 27 October 2023

I remember so well . . . . .

Priests have many memories they encounter in their lives as priests. Funny situations, anecdotes and stories I’d like to share with you today¼¼¼

I remember a Kindergarten child coming to me one day, telling me his mom was going to have a baby. Then three days later, he came back with a sad look on his face. “Father Julian, remember I told you my mom’s gonna have a baby – well forget it! She ate it!”

I remember visiting a family for dinner one day, and little Jonathan came to the door dressed in a suit and a tie. I felt embarrassed and thought that I had the wrong date, as I thought they were going out. “Oh no !” his mother reassured me, “He wanted to dress up, because you were coming to visit us.”

I remember visiting a family on Christmas Day to have Dinner with them. I told them I’ll be there around 4 PM. When I arrived I was a little late, and as soon as I rang the door bell, little Matthew came to open the door and greeted with these famous words: “Happy Christmas Father Julian, but you’re 19 minutes late !”

I remember little Kathleen who was so proud when she was chosen to take part in the school Christmas play. When I asked her what part she received, she just couldn’t talk, she was speechless and certainly ecstatic. She kept smiling and giggling and smiling more, until I forced it out of her . . “I have the part of Mary !” (see photo)

I remember a young boy, Thomas, possibly 4 years old, who accompanied his parents to church every Sunday. I would always say to Hello to him and his parents after Mass. One day I was on my bike visiting some families, and I passed by his house. Apparently Thomas was looking outside from a window, and he started yelling to his mother. She told me how his outburst went....’Mom....come here quickly, God is outside...and he’s on a bike....and he’s wearing sneakers....and he even has a NewYork Mets baseball cap.’ The following Sunday he said to me 'Hello God, I saw you on your bike!'

No comments:

Post a Comment