Monday 17 April 2023

20 years ago

My first Easter Mass in John Day, April 2003

Back in 2003, precisely in the beginning of April, I started my ministry in the Diocese of Baker, in the small parish of St. Elizabeth of Hungary in John Day, Oregon. I remember when Bishop Robert Vasa dropped me off, picked up a Coke from the refrigerator, and said to me ‘Fr Julian, you’re on your own now, Goodbye.’ That started my two and a half of rebuilding the spirit of the people, who, reminiscent of the movie ‘Lilies in the Field’ with Sidney Poitier, they were like flowers whom I cradled lovingly and created a harmonious community. That was until the bishop had asked me to move to the Cathedral for 8 years, which of course left many of my parishioners disappointed, and made my new people in Baker City happy. It was unfortunate that bishops use these small communities as a trial run to see if the priest is good enough to take on a bigger parish. 

The parish church of St Elizabeth of Hungary, John Day, OR.

That’s what happened with the John Day parish, which had seen at least  4 more pastors since then. But my stay there was one of the happiest as I brought many people back to church and made many converts, getting acquainted in the process with the ranching lifestyle of Eastern Oregon. It was fun seeing people coming to church in their boots and cowboy hats and inviting me to visit their ranches and ride horses, shoot a gun and even milk a cow. I even bought a black cowboy hat, which I was proud to show off during one of my Masses, only to be told, in front of a laughing congregation, that ‘only the bad guys wear black  hats.’ Thankfully some nice friends gave me a grey hat. That was 20 years ago !

1 comment: