Wednesday 9 November 2022

More from Spencer

Trappist monks at the Abbey chapel

At St. Joseph’s Abbey, the monks were all vegetarians. On special occasions and holidays, they would eat fish. Moreover, they only had dessert on Sundays. However, when I was at the Refectory on the first day, I saw quite a bit of fruit displayed. Waiting a day to inquire about it, I was told ‘Father Julian, fruit is not dessert – eat all you can!’ To which I replied ‘Glory, Glory, Alleluia.’ Since I am not keen on cakes and sweets, I only have fruit as a dessert, and so I was really in seventh heaven. 

That's me and another monk, packing the jars of Trappist Preserves

The monks of course had to support themselves, and they manufactured jams and jellies and preserves in a small factory, in which I also helped, mainly by packing the jars in boxes and stacking them up. Many men attend retreats at the Abbey, staying in the Retreat House for a week, and if they are priests they concelebrate with the monks. While I was with them, I was invited to be the main celebrant on two occasions, a privilege they won’t give even to bishops visiting them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment