Wednesday 13 July 2022

My Acolyte – now a priest

Father Dustin Busse processing at the end of the Ordination ceremony

Over the years I had around 6 altar-servers who eventually became priests, some in Malta, a few in New York and now one from Oregon. Dustin Busse was one of my faithful Acolytes in my last parish at St. Francis of Assisi in Bend. He was a very devout and serious young man who had mentioned to me about discerning a vocation to the priesthood. When I left Bend he told me that he was doing some exploratory work at Mount Angel Seminary. So I was honored to write a letter of recommendation for him for entrance to the Seminary. I remember him checking my blog which he liked very much, and kept visiting it even when I started the second one in Malta in May 2016. I always imagined him studying at the Mount Angel Seminary, with which I am very familiar since we always had our retreats there right after Easter. They have a beautiful and extensive library, designed by the famous Finnish architect Alvar Aalto. 

Fr Dustin being ordained by Archbishop Sample

He actually studied Philosophy and Literature at the Seminary, and then went to Rome for his theological studies. On June 25, the memorial of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, Dustin became Father Dustin Busse when he was ordained by Archbishop Sample of the Portland Archdiocese. He is temporarily stationed at St. Cecilia Catholic church in Beaverton, Oregon, to be followed by more studies in Rome. I wish him the very best as he starts his pastoral journey to bring more people closer to God. Oregon is only around 12% Catholic, and so there are plenty of opportunities to make converts out of the many unchurched people. Ad Multos Annos Fr Dustin.

No comments:

Post a Comment