Sunday 19 June 2022

“I will never die!”

A Scottish Bishop was hiking in the mountains, and since it was getting dark, he came across a small cottage and knocked on the door. He realized it was a poor family who seemed very distressed. He inquired of them what was troubling them. They told him that their elderly father was dying, but he did not want to prepare himself for his last journey. The bishop still wrapped in his overcoat, asked if he could talk to him. Still not knowing who he was, his relatives welcomed him and led him to their sick father. As the bishop greeted him, he encouraged him to be strong, but be prepared for death. The sick man objected vehemently “No, I will never die!” The bishop continued with his insistence, calming the patient and telling him that he is no exception and every human is born to die. “No, I am not going to die – don’t waste my time.” The bishop then asked him why does he think that he’s never going to die. The man replied by saying “I am Catholic, and since my First Holy Communion, I had prayed to the Blessed Mother that she would not let me die before I speak to a priest. So do you think that Mary will not grant me this request? Impossible!” The Sottish bishop then told him “My son, you should know that this who is speaking to you is even more than a priest – I am a bishop.” At that the bishop opened his coat and showed him the pectoral cross, heard his confession and stood up to leave. At that moment the patient said “Mary, my Mother, I thank you. I believe that I can now die in peace.” Within a few minutes, surrounded by his happy family, he was in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment