Saturday 27 August 2016

A selfie and flash-back

In front of the house where I was born in 1952
I had to go back 64 years today and simply share with you a selfie I took in front of the house where I was born in 1952 on this day, precisely at 16 St Angelo Street, St. Julian’s. There was a midwife, Giuseppa Xiberras who was pretty popular and quite busy at that time, and she had an extra busy evening that day. I was born at 8 PM and another boy Tony Xerri was born at 9 PM, just two doors away. Incidentally I ended up performing the marriage of Tony and his wife, and below is a photo in what could have been 1978 or 1979. Tony and his wife had 2 children and 3 grandchildren. I surprisingly met him only yesterday after one of the Masses in the old parish church. Obviously a photo followed after all these years.
With childhood friend Tony Xerri, born an hour apart.
I have a list of people who were born on August 27, a list which include Mother Teresa, to be canonized on September 4, President Lyndon B. Johnson, German golfer Bernhard Langer, snooker player Peter Ebdon, baseball player and coach Lou Piniella, and tennis stars John Lloyd and Carlos Moya.
The day Tony and his wife were married
To conclude I share a reflection I received from a former parishioner and friend from the USA:
I pray that this day will be filled with peace.
   - Peace of mind knowing that you are a true servant of God.
I wish this day will be filled with joy.
   - Joy in feeling even a little of the joy you have give so freely, reflected back on you.
I hope this day is filled with opportunities.
   - Opportunities to grow in God's love and share this love with others.
I know this day will be filled with prayers.
   - Prayers by the many, many people whose lives you have touched and enriched in such a holy way.
I feel this is a day of gratitude.
   - Gratitude for the day you were born.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I didn't know you went back to Malta. I hope all is good. Melissa graduated from the U of O. Jennifer is a sophomore at Oregon State. You have been such a positive influence for so many, including myself and the girls. Thank you. If I ever get to Malta I will come see you. You are in my prayers.
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Fr. Julian--Happy Happy Belated Birthday! We all have gratitude for the day YOU were born. Thank you so much for all you have given everyone, everywhere you have been! Malta is beautiful, as is your spirit! All of us here in La Quinta, CA at "our" St. Francis of Assisi parish (our Bible Study class)look forward to your daily inspirational, and educational, blogs. Blessings all the way to Malta. (I was "Happy in Bend" while living there--now I have to change my Sign In as "Happy in LQ.")

    ReplyDelete