Sunday 24 April 2016

Art in Maltese churches

"The Annunciation" by Emvin Cremona, in the ceiling of Balzan church.
I have to admit that one of the aspects of Malta that I cherish and which I missed so much is the plentiful art in many of the close to 400 churches that are spread out all over Malta. Some of these names of artists may not be familiar to many in the USA, but they are household names in Maltese churches: Emvin Cremona, Giuseppe Cali, Mattia Preti, Willie Apap, Francesco Zahra, and even Caravaggio. 
The vaulted ceiling of St John's Cathedral, painted by Mattia Preti
Much of their work is adorning our churches in ceilings, apses, side altars as well as the principal painting in the main altar. Over the past 10 years I've been on a mission to photograph as many of these paintings as I could, and I share today with you just three that are prominently displayed, and which have been admired for many years, and will be for many decades to come.
"The Last Supper" by Francesco Zahra at Birkirkara church

2 comments:

  1. Father Julian, I am sure you do enjoy the art in your churches. I am enoying reading your new blog and will try to keep up. Some of the ladies from Halfway and I are leaving tomorrow for a Year of Mercy pilgrimage to the Holy Door in Powell Butte. We will keep you in mind, I know, in the Bend area. I am enjoying catching up on your new blog. Thank you for continuing to minister to all of us through your thoughts and images! We love you and miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dun Giljan
    At present I am working on a new book about Maltese Christmas traditions. Some of these traditions have been 'exported' to other countries by Maltese emigrates and the MUSEUM members. One of these countries is the USA. Can anyone help me whether such traditions are kept alive in USA, Australia, Canada, UK etc. I am referring to the midnight boy's sermon, the Christmas Eve procession with the figure of Baby Jesus, the gifts of 'qaghad tal-ghasel', the Christmas lunch with 'hasi', 'imqarrun' and 'sufle'. I am also interested in the New Year's Day tradition of 'L-Istrina' (the donation of monetary gifts to children especially family members. Thanks Joseph C Camilleri

    ReplyDelete