Friday, 2 October 2026

Dear Stephen

Stephen is my Guardian Angel.

I’ve had a close relationship with him ever since I was a child.

I chose his name because I liked the martyred saint who does not get much recognition, because his feast day falls the day after Christmas, and so everyone is still in a festive mood, celebrating, partying and playing with the toys.

But Stephen has been a tower of strength for me,

Saving me from many near-miss accidents, helping me when I got stuck in sticky, uncomfortable situations, suggesting the right phrase to use when preaching, giving talks, and in conversation.

Stephen was there in my passenger seat while driving throughout New York and Oregon, clocking over a million miles, zipping through trucks, trailers and crazy drivers.

Stephen has travelled with me in all my flights over 35 years, watching over me, hoping to arrive safely at my destinations, usually Malta, New York and Oregon.

Unfortunately many people do not even recognize their Guardian Angel.

They think it’s something just for children,

But how wrong they are !

They are with us from the moment we are conceived until the day we die.

Watching over us, protecting us, guarding our every step we take, every word we say.

They also stay with us when we get to heaven.

Today we honor them on their feast day.

Psalm 91:11 reads: "For He will command His angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways"

And in the Gospel we read "See that you despise not one of these little ones: for I say to you, that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father who is in heaven." (Matthew 18:10)

So thank you dear Stephen, for always being there for me.

Thank you for your timely advice whenever I turned to you.

Thank you for staying close to me, always and everywhere.  

1 comment: