Monday 15 July 2024

My generous parishioner

After yesterday’s touching story, I can relate to that message as I also experienced a generous act to my parish from one of my parishioners. George Colwell was a seasoned rancher, and he owned some property in the parish of Baker City, Oregon. He also knew we had some needy families, as well as transients who used to pass by in their travels, looking for help and any kind of assistance. So every year he used to give me $10,000 to use for these needy cases. I spread the money over a whole year using around $900 a month for a variety of needs: a voucher for gasoline, an overnight stay in a motel, urgent medicine, some electrical bills, baby needs, funeral travels, etc. Of course I never gave any cash, but a voucher which would then be redeemed later on. George always wanted to remain anonymous, but after 15 years, I feel it’s about time to acknowledge his generous and extremely kind gesture.

No comments:

Post a Comment