Tuesday 7 February 2023

A winter spectacular

One of the things I miss from my years in the USA is seeing snow falling and creating a scintillating scene with winter beauty. I’ve taken hundreds of photos of wintry scenes. I was especially in love with icicles in my first years, but on a few occasions I also witnessed the miracle of nature as hoarfrost covered every branch, twig and tree in crystallized ice. Enjoy these few photos from January 15, 2009 when for two full days the entire Baker County in Eastern Oregon was encased in ice. 

This happens when white ice crystals are deposited on the ground or loosely attached trees and branches, besides exposed objects, such as wires or leaves. They form on cold, clear nights when conditions are such that heat radiates into outer space faster than it can be replaced from nearby warm objects or brought in by the wind. Under suitable circumstances, objects cool to below the frost point of the surrounding air, well below the freezing point of water.  Thus this frost, also known as hoarfrost makes trees and bushes look like white hair. And everywhere for two full days, was a spectacular winter wonderland.

No comments:

Post a Comment