Wednesday 26 October 2022

From 40 years ago

Priests and sisters at Holy Spirit, New Hyde Park, NY.
When I first arrived in New York in 1981, in Holy Spirit Parish in New Hyde Park, on Long Island, we were 6 priests in the Rectory and there were 13 nuns in the adjacent convent. But 6 years later, we ended up only 3 priests, and there were 3 sisters left. I would imagine that the majority of them are deceased by now, probably one still alive, and of the priests, 3 of them had died by 1988. The first photo shows the whole group together, with the13 Dominican nuns and the 6 priests, including a Filipino priest and a Jesuit. 
8 of the Dominican sisters with my parents in 1982
My parents had visited me on a few occasions, and they stayed in the convent with the nuns, where you can see them with some of the nuns in their garden. Both these photos were taken in 1982, 40 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment