Sunday 24 February 2019

The conversion of Gary Cooper

In his role as Lou Gehrig in 'Pride of the Yankees.'
As the Oscars are presented today in Hollywood, I share with you the touching story of one of the silvers screen starts of the 30, 40s and 50s. Gary Cooper was born on May 7, 1901, and was known for his integrity and honesty. He never acted the part of a delinquent or a killer, because he felt it would go against the strength of his character. After a career that spanned 35 years in Hollywood, featuring in 84 films, word spread around that he was converting to the Catholic faith. He was very close to Bing Crosby and Irene Dunn, who had a mission of bringing Christ into the Hollywood scene. In 1953, he was welcomed by Pope Pius XII in a private audience, and a few months after his conversion, he met the Pope again, this time with his wife and daughter. When he was approaching the end of his life, battling cancer, he told his doctor, ‘I’ve lived long enough to have the courage to confront the trials of life. My hope is not in this world anymore. I have a strong enough faith that convinces me that the future does not lie here, but in the hereafter.’ He frequently received the sacraments during his illness. During the last few days of his life, while he was receiving his third Oscar, he followed the ceremony from home on TV, and was heard saying ‘I’ve had many blessings in my life – I have one wish left – to die a peaceful death.’ He received the last rites and whispered his last words ‘Thy will be done. Lord, help me die without fear.’ He died on May 13, 1961.

No comments:

Post a Comment