Saturday 26 August 2017

Minister needed

One of the toughest tasks a church faces is choosing a good minister, accepting a new pastor. A member of an official board undergoing this painful process finally lost patience. He had watched the Pastoral Relations Committee reject one applicant after another for some fault, alleged or otherwise. It was time for a bit of soul-searching on the part of the committee. So he stood up and read a letter supposedly coming from yet another applicant.
“Gentlemen, understanding your pulpit is vacant, I would like to apply for the position of pastor. I have many qualifications. I have been a preacher with much success, and also had some success as a writer. Some say I’m a fairly good organizer. I’ve been a leader in most places I served. I’m presently over 50 years old. I’ve never preached in one place for than three years. In some places I have left town after my work has caused riots and disturbances. I must admit that I’ve been in jail three or four times, but not because of any wrongdoing. My health is not good, though I still get a great deal done. The churches I have preached in have been small, though located in several large cities. I’ve not got along well with religious leaders in towns where I have preached. In fact, some have threatened me and even attacked me physically. I am not too good at keeping records. I have been known to forget whom I have baptized. However, if you can use me, I shall do my best for you.”
The board member looked over the committee and said “Well, what do you think? Shall we call him?” The church members were furious and angry, “What!? Shall we call an unhealthy, trouble-making, absent minded ex-jailbird? Was the board member crazy? Who had the nerve to sign this application? Who had such colossal nerve to even apply?”
The board member eyed them all keenly before he answered. “It is signed ‘The Apostle Paul.’

No comments:

Post a Comment